Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Top 5 Wednesday: Books That Took You The Longest to Finish

Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly meme created by Lainey @ GingerReadsLainey on YouTube and hosted by Sam @ ThoughtsOnTomes. Every Wednesday there is a new topic, and you list your top 5 related to the particular topic. This week topic is books that took you the longest to finish. For more information on top 5 Wednesday and the Goodreads group click HERE.

This list is in no particular order. 

I didn’t post a top 5 Wednesday last week because I got so busy with school. But I am back this week so I hope you enjoy this post.



1. The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan
I started this book back in March and I finished it last month. So, it took me about a half year to finish this book. I put this book down a lot because this book contains short-stories and essays. So it is perfect for reading here and there a short story.
Check out my review here




2. The Martian by Andy Weir
I started this in January and finished it in the end of March. I read this book because of the hype, but I didn’t enjoy this book. So it took me a long time to finish it.




 
3. A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
This book is a big book, that is the main reason why it took me so long to read it. I read the prologue in February 2014, after that I kind of put it down and picked it up again this summer. So on Goodreads it looks like it took me more than 2 years to read it, but in reality I read it in 1 month.
Check out my review here




4. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
This book took me a month to read. That is long especially when you know that this book is just 125 pages. The writing isn’t difficult like most classics. But it was the subject and how the story got told that made it slow. This book made me realize that book about time travel are just not my thing.




5. My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
I started it around Christmas time in 2014 but I didn’t finish it in January, and I didn’t like to read this after the holiday season. So I saved the last 3 stories for Christmas in 2015 and finished it. So, technically this took me a year to read. 



6 comments:

  1. The cover of the first book (The Opposite of Loneliness) is so so pretty! I've been meaning to pick it up, but I can never find it in any sales or in the library. Hm, maybe I'll just get the ebook? I'm loving how you structured your post btw, great mind must think alike <3
    Loved your top five! If you're interested you can find mine by clicking on this link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, the cover of the opposite of Loneliness is really pretty! Your blog post has a nice structure as well ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I've been meaning to start reading Game of Thrones but I always ended up reading other books instead. The same goes for The Martian.
    Nice list by the way. :) Made me want to look up some of the books you listed here.
    If you're interested in reading mine, here's the link: https://erubooksandrecs.wordpress.com/2016/10/05/top-5-wednesday-books-that-took-you-the-longest-to-finish-oct-5th-16/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same with me here. I've had Game of Thrones on my shelf for more than 2 year. I always picked something else up because I had to choose between reading this big book or getting through 2 other books. Until this summer, after season 6 of the TV series finished. I was in the mood for more Game of Thrones so I finally picked it up, and I have no regrets. I'm currently reading the second book in the series, I'm enjoying that one even more.

      I think It took me also a while to finish Percy Jackson and the Lightning. At least it felt that way to me. You got a nice list too. I haven't read most of them but I've been meaning to pick Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe up for a very long time.

      Delete
  3. The only one I've read on your list is My True Love Gave To Me, but the others have definitely been on my TBR list for quite some time. Great picks! And here's mine if you're interested in checking it out: http://thepreppybookprincess.blogspot.ca/2016/10/top-5-wednesday-books-that-took-you.html

    ReplyDelete